Music - Dixie Highway by Journey
Photographed in 1995 using film.
Al Lang Stadium - Opened in 1947, rebuilt in 1976 and renovated in both 1998 and 2011. Al Lang Stadium is still in use. Formerly known as Florida Power Park (1998 - 2002) Progress Energy Park (2003-2010) and back to Al Lang Stadium 2011 to present.
Location - 180 2nd Ave. SE St. Petersburg, Florida. About 10 blocks east of the current Tropicana Field, home to the Tampa Bay Rays.
Al Lang Stadium has a long history as a spring training home. The Yankees trained there from 1947 thru 1950, then again from 1952 to 1961. The New York baseball Giants trained there in 1951 followed by the New York Mets from 1967 thru 1987. Al Lang housed the Baltimore Orioles from 1991 thru 1995 and the Tampa Bay Devil Rays from 1998 thru 2008. The Devil Rays were the last MLB team to train here. The longest tenured team to call Al Lang their spring training home were the St. Louis Cardinals who trained here from 1947 thru 1997. Al Lang also hosted the St. Petersburg Saints of the old FIL league from 1947 thru 1954 and the FSL Saints from 1955 till 1965. The St. Petersburg Cardinals of the FSL played here from 1965 till the end of 1997. And the final minor league team to play here was the St. Petersburg Devil Rays of the FLS who were here from 1998 thru 2000.
The site of Al Lang Stadium was in the mix for a new Devil Rays ballpark but that was shelved in May of 2009.
Al Lang Stadium is a multi use facility now. Baseball is still played here via high school, international and amateur teams. The University of South Florida St. Petersburg plays there games here. The stadium is also home to soccer. The Tampa Bay Rowdies of the NASL have used this as a home since 2011.
The white building in back of the Budweiser scoreboard in left is the Bayfront Coliseum. The Coliseum was imploded in 2004 to make way for the Salvador Dali museum.
The next 8 photos are from Brian Merzbach and his site www.ballparkreviews.com Brian shot the park in 2008.