University of Detroit Mercy, Calihan Hall / U of Detroit Stadium - Detroit, Michigan
Ballparks, Arenas and Stadiums > University of Detroit Mercy, Calihan Hall / U of Detroit Stadium - Detroit, Michigan
Music - Fire Lake by Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band

Photographed in 1987 using film. The b and w photos of the U of D stadium I found and bought at a sports card show in Detroit in 1985 and ARE NOT for sale.

Calihan Hall - Opened in 1952 and still in use by Detroit Mercy basketball. Original name was the Memorial Building. It was changed to Calihan Hall in 1977. In 2011, the floor at Calihan Hall was named Dick Vitale Court at Calihan Hall. The Detroit Pistons of the NBA played a handful of games at Calihan Hall in the late 50's.

Location - 4001 W. McNichols Road Detroit, Michigan

University of Detroit Stadium - Opened in 1922 and demolished in 1971. The site was a parking lot for the U of Detroit and Calihan Hall, which is located just to the southeast of the Stadium. The light standards were in between the stands and the playing field, which is quite unusual. Part of the stadium location is now occupied by a multi-purpose field.

Location - Off 6 mile road / McNichols Road, just west of Fairfield Street in the northeast corner of campus. Just to the northwest of Calihan Hall.

The University of Detroit football team played there from 1922 till 1964 when the school dropped football. Pro football was played there as the Detroit Lions called it home from 1934 thru 1937. And again in 1940. The big moment of glory for the old stadium was in 1935, when the NFL championship game was played there. The Lions beat the New York Giants 26 - 7.

image



image



image



image



image



image



image



image



image



image

Parking lot where U of D stadium once stood. 1987


image

U of Detroit Stadium, onetime home of the Detroit Lions of the NFL.


image



image



image



image



image



image



image



image



image