Music - Native sons of a distant land by the Rippingtons
Photographed in 1990 and 1994 using film.
Robertson Stadium (now demolished) - Opened on September 18, 1942, closed on November 24, 2012 and demolished in December 2012. Full name was John O'Quinn Field at Corbin J. Robertson Stadium from 2000 thru 2012. Also known as Public Schools Stadium (1942-1958) Jeppesen Stadium (1958-1980) and Robertson Stadium (1980-1999).
Location - 3874 Holman Street Houston, Texas. On the campus of the University of Houston.
Tenants - The main tenant was the University of Houston Cougars. They played football, and soccer there. Football was played there by the Cougars from 1946 - 1950 and again from 1998 thru the closing in 2012. The Cougars also called the Astrodome home from 1965 thru 1997. They also shared home field with Rice University in nearby Rice stadium from 1951 thru 1964. For the 2013 season, the Cougars played again in Rice Stadium as well as Reliant Stadium (home of the NFL Texans) and BBVA compass stadium. The Cougars will have a brand new home for the 2014 season as TDECU stadium will open on the site of old Robertson stadium.
The AFL Houston Oilers also called Robertson stadium home. In fact, it was the Oilers first home. They played there from their inception in 1960 thru the 1964 season. They moved into Rice stadium from 1965 thru 1967 and finally moved into the Astrodome from 1968 thru 1996. The team relocated to Tennessee for the 1997 season.
The Oilers were a powerhouse in the first 3 seasons in the new AFL, appearing in the first three AFL championship games and winning 2. The first AFL championship game was played at then Jeppesen stadium on January 1, 1962. The Oilers defeated the then Los Angeles Chargers 24-16. The second championship game was also against the Chargers but they were now the San Diego Chargers. The game was played in San Diego at the old Balboa Stadium (still in use in San Diego but the stadium itself is demolished). They beat the Chargers again, this time 10-3. The game everyone remembers is the 1962 double overtime loss to the then Dallas Texans who would literally be the Kansas CIty Chiefs weeks after the championship game. The final was 20-17 but the factor in the game was the weather. The game started off under pleasant conditions, but at halftime a "blue norther" swept in with howling winds and rain. It is estimated that 40 million viewers tuned in to watch the game, thus cementing an eventual merger with the NFL some years later.
Hofheinz Pavilion - Opened December 1, 1969 and still in use by the University of Houston.
Location - 3875 Holman St., Houston, Texas. Also on the campus of the University of Houston. Located directly across the street from old Robertson Stadium.
Tenants - University of Houston Cougars basketball from 1969 thru the present. Also the first home for the Houston Rockets of the NBA from 1971 thru early in the 1975 season. The team then moved into the brand new Summit and stayed thru 2003, before moving into the brand new Toyota center in downtown Houston.
The U of Houston was in need of a permanent home for its indoor teams. They had been playing basketball at the dilapidated Jeppesen Gymnasium, which was located in the south end zone of Robertson stadium. They played there from 1946 thru 1966. The old gym was demolished in 1996 when Robertson stadium was renovated. You can see pictures of the old gym in this slideshow. The gym is tan in color and has a scoreboard fixed to the outer wall.
For the 1966 season, the Cougars played in nearby Delmer Fieldhouse. The fieldhouse was a weird barrel shaped structure with a big bow in it. The Cougars called that home for 3 years before moving into Hofheinz in 1969. Delmer Fieldhouse was demolished in January of 2014.
The Jeppensen field house in the south end of the end zone.
The old Jeppensen field house, home to Cougs basketball for 20 years.