Music - take another 5 by Grover Washington Jr. Buffalo's own.....
Photographed in 1994 using film.
War Memorial Stadium - Opened in 1937, closed in 1988 and demolished in 1988. Known as Roesch Memorial Stadium 1937, Grover Cleveland Stadium 1937 - 1938, Civic Stadium 1938 - 1960 and War Memorial Stadium 1960 - 1988.
The Johnnie B. Wiley Amateur Athletic Sports Pavilion was built on the site of old War Memorial Stadium.
Location - 285 Dodge Street Buffalo, New York.
Offerman Stadium - Opened in 1924, closed in 1960 and demolished that same year. Known as Bison Stadium 1924 - 1935, Offermann Stadium 1935 - 1960. The Buffalo Academy for Visual and Performing Arts school now sits on the site.
Location - Offermann Stadium, E. Ferry St., Masten Ave., Michigan Ave., Woodlawn Ave. Buffalo, New York.
War Memorial stadium, or the rockpile as locals called it, was a WPA project built in 1937. Originally known as Roesch Memorial stadium the name was changed to Grover Cleveland stadium later in the 1937 season. Grover Cleveland was the 22nd and 24th President of the United States and the Governor of New York. The name changed again in 1938 to Civic stadium, which remained until 1960 when it was renamed for the last time to War Memorial Stadium. The stadium was located at the corner of Jefferson Avenue and Best Street, about a 10 minute drive from downtown Buffalo.
The stadiums main tenants were the baseball Bison's, who played here from 1961 thru the 1987 season, and the upstart Buffalo Bills of the old AFL. The Bills used the rockpile from 1960 thru the 1972 season before fleeing to Rich stadium in suburban Orchard Park. During their stay here, the Bills won the AFL titles in both 1964 and 1965. The area surrounding the stadium was iffy at best during the 60's, 70's and 80's. In their first season here (1961) the Bison's won the league title. After the Bison's left in 87, the old rockpile was demolished. The Johnnie B. Wiley Amateur Athletic sports pavilion now occupies the site. So kids of today can run on the field that OJ, and many of the stars of the AFL used. I wonder if the kids realize what was there before?
Most people would know the old Rockpile from its claim to fame. The Robert Redford movie the Natural was filmed inside the park. Now that is just a distant memory.
Western New York, specifically Buffalo, has a long and storied minor league history. Beginning in 1884 at the corner of Richmond Avenue and Summer Street was Olympic park. The International league began play in Buffalo in 1889 and used Buffalo Baseball park from 1889-1923. It was in 1924 that the Bison's began play at Offerman stadium. They were there thru the 1960 season. After that, the team moved to War memorial stadium where they stayed until 1987. Dunn tire park, or Pilot field as it was know then, came into play for the 1988 season. Offermann Stadium was torn down in 1960 and in 1962 the Woodlawn Jr. High School opened on the site. In 2008, the site became the home of the Buffalo Academy for Visual and Performing Arts School.