Music - Backstabbers by the O'Jays
DISCLAIMER - Photos WITHOUT my watermark were found on the internet and are not mine, and are NOT for sale.
My photos were shot in 1991, 1994 and 2002 using film. Also shot in 2007 using digital.
Baker Bowl - Opened 1887, closed June 30, 1938 and finally demolished in 1950. The site is now a gas station, car wash and warehouse.
Known as Philadelphia Baseball Grounds 1887 - 1895, National League Park 1895 - 1913, Baker Bowl 1913 - 1950.
Location - Baker Bowl, W. Lehigh Ave., N. Broad St., W. Huntingdon St., N. 15th St. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Literally 7 blocks east of where Connie Mack Stadium stood.
Baker Bowl was home to the Philadelphia Phillies from 1887 thru the middle of the 1938 season. Arguably, THE worst ballpark in the history of baseball. The bowl had a few nicknames, such as the hump, the cigar box and bandbox. It was located 6 blocks east of Shibe Park. The main entrance was at 15th and Huntington. The right field wall ran parallel to Broad Street. When it was built, Baker bowl was state of the art. But it quickly fell into disrepair. On August 6, 1894, fire destroyed the grandstands and bleachers. The park was rebuilt with the first cantilevered upper deck. Tragedy would strike again. During a game on August 8, 1903, a disturbance on 15th Street caught the attention of people sitting in the bleachers down the left field line. Others came to see what was going on and the added stress caused it to collapse, killing 12 people and injuring 232. Again, repairs had to be made to Baker bowl. On May 14, 1927, Baker bowl would suffer another catastrophe. This time rotted shoring timbers down the right field line collapsed. It was a miracle that no one died, however one person did pass away from heart failure in the stampede that followed. During both of those repairs, the Phillies had to rent Shibe park from the A's. Little did they realize they would share the same field for good in 1938.
The most notable feature of Baker bowl was the right field wall. It was a mere 280 feet from home plate. They used to have advertising on the right field wall. One was for lifebuoy soap. It said "the Phillies use lifebuoy" and the tag line was, they STILL stink. Prior to WWI, there was a swimming pool in the basement of the centerfield clubhouse. After the Phillies left, the clubhouse was converted into the Alpine music bar. Baker Bowl was also the site of Honus Wagner's 3000th hit.
Due to the fact that Baker bowl had no lights, and was literally falling apart, the Phillies took up the A's offer to share Shibe park. So on June 30th 1938, the Phillies played their final game at Baker bowl.
Baker bowl was the last park Babe Ruth would play in. On May 30, 1935, Ruth was playing for the old Boston Braves. The Braves and Phillies were scheduled to play a doubleheader that day. After the first inning of the first game, Ruth took himself out of the lineup and never played another game again.
The Eagles also played here from 1933-1938. They followed the Phillies over to Shibe park.
The old hump that was home to hall of famers, Grover Cleveland Alexander, Chuck Klein and Ed Delehanty, was demolished in 1950. A marker on Broad Street commemorates the site of Baker bowl.
This is a shot from rightfield looking towards the triangular building. That building has been standing for most of the life of Baker bowl.
The marker for Baker Bowl on Broad Street.
This would have been the home plate entrance.
A better shot of where CF and the clubhouse would have been.
This roughly would have been where the centerfield clubhouse was, later the Alpine bar.
Housing on 15th St / 3b side.
This would have been left field.
This would have been the right field wall.
The carwash on Broad street where Baker bowl once stood. This would have been deep centerfield.
A rare shot of the decrepit Phillies clubhouse at Baker Bowl.