MUSIC - Bobby Jean by Bruce Springsteen and the E Street band.... Clarence Clemons (R.I.P) "the BIG man" was from Norfolk Virginia.
Photographed in 1991, 1997 and 2005 using film.
Parker Field - Opened in 1934 and demolished in 1984.
The Diamond opened in 1985 and is still in use. Longtime home for the Richmond Braves from 1985 thru the 2008 season. The Richmond Squirrels of the EL have played here from 2010 thru the present. Also home to the Virginia Commonwealth University Rams who have played here since 1985.
For many years, Richmond baseball was played at Mooers Field. That all changed in 1934 when Parker Field was constructed. Parker Field was built to the east of old Mooers Field. In 1954, the Richmond Virginians of the old American Association called Parker Field home. In 1956, they became the AAA home for the New York Yankees. In 1964, the Virginian's were transferred to Toledo Ohio and became the Mud Hens. The city of Richmond was baseball bare in 1965, but in 1966 the new Atlanta Braves moved their AAA team to Parker Field. They renamed them the Richmond Braves. Parker field was their home until it was razed after the 1984 season. The capacity of old Parker field was never more than 9,500.
In the spring of 1985, the Diamond arose from the rubble of old Parker field. The new place was much better than the antiquated predecessor. More leg room, better concessions and site lines as well as another first.... NO POLES! The Braves played there until 2008 when the team was moved to Gwinnett County Georgia after failing to get a new stadium built in the Shockoe Bottom district of Richmond. Virginia Commonwealth University uses the Diamond for their home baseball games now. In 2009, the Connecticut Defenders of the Eastern league moved in. With major upgrades to the scoreboard and seating, they were renamed the Richmond Flying Squirrels. The capacity of the park is 9,560. They are the AA team for the San Francisco Giants. There has been talk about building a new ballpark, but nothing has come of it yet.
Location - 3001 N. Blvd. Richmond Virginia Note: The Diamond was built on the same site of Parker field in 1985
Parker Field in July of 1976.