MUSIC - Foot stompin music by Grand Funk Railroad
Photographed in 1997 using film.
Tiger Stadium "Death Valley" - Opened in 1924 and still in use. Maravich Center - Opened in 1971 and still standing. Known as LSU Assembly Center 1971 - 1988, Pete Maravich Assembly Center 1988 - present. Replaced the John Parker Agricultural Coliseum aka the Cow Palace, which in turn replaced the Huey P. Long Fieldhouse. Both buildings are still standing.
Location - Tiger Stadium - Nicholson Dr., N. Stadium Rd. Baton Rouge, Louisiana -- Bounded by Dalrymple Dr., Fieldhouse Dr.
Location - Maravich Center - same as Tiger Stadium. Maravich Center is just to the north of Tiger Stadium.
The smell of crawfish, gumbo and jambalaya fills the air around Tiger Stadium on Saturday afternoons in the fall. The food at the tailgate parties is almost as hot as the action inside Tiger Stadium or Death Valley as the locals call it. The Stadium is LOUD and electric and generally a miserable place to play for opponents of LSU. On gameday over 92,000 fans jam Tiger Stadium and it becomes the fifth largest city in Louisiana. Chants of "GEAUX TIGERS" and "Tiger bait!" cascade down on the field. During a game against Florida on October 6, 2007, CBS recorded a decibel level of 130. THAT is loud!
Tiger Stadium opened for the last game of the 1924 football season in a loss to rival Tulane. Since then, LSU has gone on to post a winning percentage over .700. The first night game took place way back in 1931 against Spring Hill. It was a 35-0 victory for LSU. In 2006, LSU celebrated 75 years of night football at Tiger stadium. The Tigers play the majority of their home games at night and have had much more success under the lights than during the day.
Tiger stadium is one of the greatest college stadiums in the country. Fans flock from all over Louisiana to cheer on their Tigers. The tailgating is legendary as is the football. If you get the chance and can get a ticket, make tracks to Baton Rouge and LSU.
In 1972, LSU basketball moved out of the old LSU AgCenter into the brand new LSU Assembly Center. The building was constructed just north of Tiger Stadium. The arena retained that name for the next 17 years. In 1988, just after the untimely death of LSU great Pete Maravich, the building was renamed the Pete Maravich Assembly Center. Maravich never played in the new building. His career at LSU ended in 1970, so his home games were played at the old AgCenter, which still stands today on campus.
Just like its next door neighbor the PMAC, as locals call it, is just as noisy as Tiger Stadium. One thing about sports at LSU, they are vocal.