Music - Moving in stereo by the Cars
Photographed in 1994 using film.
Oncenter War Memorial - Opened in 1951 and still in use. Known as Onondaga War Memorial 1951 - 2008, War Memorial at Oncenter 2008 - present.
The Onondaga War Memorial is a small arena in downtown Syracuse. It's location is at the corner of State Street and Harrison Street. It is now known as the War Memorial at Onecenter. Built in 1951, it featured the first ever poured in place concrete roof in the United States.
Its first major tenant was the Syracuse Nationals of the NBA. The team played in Syracuse for 14 seasons and made the playoffs every year. The Nats won the cities only pro championship in 1955. After the 1963 season, the team was sold and moved to Philadelphia to become the 76ers.
Hockey has always been number one here. Starting with the Syracuse Warriors of the AHL from 1951 - 1954. The Syracuse Eagles of the AHL played here for one year 1974 - 1975. The Syracuse Blazers of the EHL / NAHL were here for 10 years from 1967 till 1977. The Syracuse Firebirds for one season, 1979 - 1980. And the longest tenant, the Syracuse Crunch of the AHL. They started here in 1994 and are still here.
Location - 800 S. State Street Syracuse, New York.