Music - Fire on high by the Electric Light Orchestra
Photographed in 1997 using film.
Maravich Center - Opened in 1971 and still standing. Known as LSU Assembly Center 1971 - 1988, Pete Maravich Assembly Center 1988 - present.
In 1972, LSU basketball moved out of the old LSU AgCenter into the brand new LSU Assembly Center. The building was constructed just north of Tiger Stadium. The arena retained that name for the next 17 years. In 1988, just after the untimely death of LSU great Pete Maravich, the building was renamed the Pete Maravich Assembly Center. Maravich never played in the new building. His career at LSU ended in 1970, so his home games were played at the old AgCenter, which still stands today on campus.
LSU basketball has had several home courts. The first being State Field, and it literally was a field. They played on a grass surface from 1908 - 1924. It was also used by LSU baseball and football teams. State field was located just to the southwest of the current Louisiana State Capitol Building.
The second was the LSU Gym / Armory. From 1930 thru 1937, they played here. The building is now the Cox communications academic center for student athletes.
The place before the assembly center... that was the John M. Parker Agricultural Coliseum. LSU was here from 1938 until 1972. The building still stands on the campus of LSU at Highland Rd. and Ag Center Drive.
On a sadder note, in October of 1977, Lynyrd Skynyrd was supposed to play at the center. On the night of October 20, on a flight from Greenville, South Carolina, the plane carrying the band went down. The crash killed 6 people including Ronnie Van Zant and Steve Gaines.
Just like its next door neighbor the PMAC, as locals call it, is just as noisy as Tiger Stadium. One thing about sports at LSU, they are vocal.