Music - Rock you like a hurricane by the Scorpions
Photographed in 1987 and 1991 using film.
Cleveland Arena opened in 1937, closed in 1974 and finally demolished in 1977. The site of the old arena is now the Cleveland chapter of the American Red Cross.
Cleveland arena was located at 3717 Euclid Avenue, and seated about 11,000 people. Cleveland arena was built and privately financed by local businessman Albert C. Sutphin during the height of the Great Depression in 1937. The major tenant was his AHL hockey team, the original Cleveland Barons. In 1970, the NBA expansion Cleveland Cavaliers called the arena home for 5 years. Also, as mentioned above, the WHA Cleveland Crusaders played at the arena.
One odd "tenant" were the Cincinnati Royals of the NBA. From 1966 thru 1970, the Cincinnati Royals played over 40 "home" games at the arena. The Royals would move to Kansas City in 1972.
The arena was the site of what was considered the first ever rock and roll concert. The Moondog Coronation Ball was held on March 21, 1952, and was organized by legendary DJ Alan Freed along with WJW radio. It was a disaster as the concert was shut down by the fire authorities due to overcrowding after the first song. The fire department estimated that 20,000 individuals were either in the arena or trying to enter it, when the capacity was roughly half that.
When it opened in 1937, the arena was a palace, but when it closed in 1974 it had become dilapidated and hardly had any parking. The neighborhood was also in decline. Cleveland arena stood for 3 more years, closed and unused. Finally in 1977, the arena was finally torn down. Like Richfield coliseum, no marker is present to let people know what once stood at 3717 Euclid Avenue.
Location - 3717 Euclid Ave., Cleveland, Ohio
Cleveland Arena site in 1987, 10 years after demolition.
Elvis backstage at the arena.
This may be the only known photo of the arena and it's concourse.
A rare back of the arena shot.
Auctioning off stuff from the arena.
The end of an era in Cleveland, the arena meets the wrecking ball in 1977.
Cleveland Arena site in 1991.